Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Aafia who is changing my life. Not Siddiqui.

Last night when i sat down with my parents and their 'intellectual' friends for coffee, I felt mature. I felt that I wasn’t just a kid for them anymore. I saw their awed faces when I quoted Marx and Weber like they were my buddies from kindergarten. And I owe it all to one teacher who is now the only reason I do not crib about waking up for 8am Sociology. 

It saddens me to see that out of the 30 odd people in that class, most of them dont know the first thing about sociology. If I call them stupid, it would be an understatement. They do not deserve to be there for an advanced level class.
I’m so sick of looking at people’s expressionless faces. Everytime I speak in class, im glared at because I offend the hijabis and the macho man in my class.

Sometimes I just hate being a part of that class because im so dumbed down by their sheer ignorance.. See what I mean? Dumbed.

I don’t understand how someone can just walk into a class with their preconceived notions on homosexuals, Islam as the best religion on the planet and women who are destined to be subordinate creatures cooking meals and cleaning the house.

I don’t know who to blame for that. 3 generations have lived this way, in cocoon. So im guessing the next 30 to come will do the same, i.e if we arent bombed out by then. 

And then there will always be pests like me, gnawing on that cocoon.

Because right now the only purpose of attending that class is that satisfaction that (hopefully) I shall get when one of them speaks up to contradict me, even if that contradiction means saying you are crazy Anam.

2 comments:

  1. Can't say I don't know what that's like.

    It's more difficult to be knowledgeable and open-minded, than backward and confined. Being stupid and dumb means you don't have to worry about anything. So many people want an easy life -_-.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its the want for this easy life thats killing the nation. I think sleeping beauties need to be woken up now.

    ReplyDelete